Just after we moved here, Trey's boss, who I think has a great knack for asking questions, took us both out to dinner. We were new to Hawaii, new to Trey's position, and I'd never met his boss, so needless to say I was a bit nervous. He was great, and asked nice benign questions like, "So what has surprised you most about Hawaii?"  Easy enough: the beaches are more spectacular than the photos, there are 5 Hawaiian music stations on the radio (ok, maybe 3), everybody parks their cars on the front lawn, all sorts of great things. But no, I'm mortified to admit I blurted out, "The HUGE cockroaches!" Yep. To the boss. He was gracious enough to laugh, and we joked about the joys of the tropics, and he was very nice. Trey reassures me that I redeemed myself, but it still haunts me. Until tonight, when I had the real Surprise.

I went outside to bring in some laundry, and I ran into what may be my biggest surprise of Hawaii:


The biggest toad I've ever seen! I kept thinking that he would hop away, so I kept snapping photos, until I realized he was probably too blinded and too scared to move. I even gave him a little nudge with Hans' toy golf club, but he wasn't budging. I just checked, though and I think he finally got his eyesight back and hopped off.


Trey's in Guam, so I had to share with all you lucky folks. 

Here froggy, froggy!

Comments

  1. Oh, the surprises in the dark! He was a quiet one, eh? Is he there to eat the cocroaches now? It is a good thing you are so game! You are ready for your camping trip:) Hope you have a wonderful and very uneventful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ewww... too bad hans wasn't up to see him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment