Miss Bella comes to visit

Last week my dear mother-in-law called to razz Trey about much Hans really needs a puppy for his birthday, and Trey reassured her that no, we really don't need any other bodies running around making messes they don't clean up by themselves and running the other way when you call.  I'm not sure we could even handle a fish these days. (My dear friend Emily, mama to 2 kids and fish named Rosabella, is a better woman than I. Her hilarious blog and story of her Chinese fish is worth a read.) So anyway, I was grateful that we weren't going to be adding any pets to the family for now.
The next morning, Hans and I were up with the birds at 5:45, when Hans called out excitedly, "Mommy, there's a little doggie in our house!" Since Little Doggie (his trusted stuffed friend who goes everywhere with him, speaks his own language: "hrmm-rmm-rmm-rmm", and eats at his own spot at the dinner table) features so prominently in everything we do, I didn'tt hink anything of it. I was in the other room, responded sleepily, "Really? Wow," and went about my business. Then I heard some little feet and turned around, and wouldn't you know it, there was a little doggie! 
Our neighbor's new dog Bella had come to visit! And since they'd already left for work and, I figured their son wasn't up yet (he's in college and not an early riser...) Bella was 'ours' for the morning. Hans was thrilled, though he liked to keep his distance, and completely entertained most of the morning. He was even really good at making sure Bella wasn't on the couch.
Annika loved her (though a little too fearless for my tastes).  I even contemplated keeping her for the day till I remembered my neighbor telling me about her tendency to mess on the carpet. So I took her into the backyard while I hung up the laundry.We finally took her back, and Hans affectionately dubbed his little doggie 'Bella' for the rest of the day. I think he misses her. Mostly I miss the way she cleaned up under Annika's highchair! But I still think we'll start out with a fish. Then maybe a turtle or a rabbit, though I wish they could double as vacuums for the kids' messes!

Comments

  1. what great posts - all of them. i love that you had a dog for the morning. there should be a business where you rent a dog for a day and then give it back - your kids would love that :)
    sweet pictures - all of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are sweet. I love the pic of bella at the back gate! We now are babysitting a turtle..it is interesting...for sure. Love the pics of naptime too. Miss you all Em

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment